It is with great sadness that we announce the tragic passing of Chris Johnson on Monday February 4th, 2019. Chris passed away after a fall whilst vacationing in Costa Rica on his 75th birthday. He leaves behind his wife, Joan and two children Jenny and Sarah and two grandchildren, Simon and Katie.
Chris played in the second row for the Crusaders first team for most of the 1980’s and early 1990’s and was President of the club for many of these years. It was under his watch that the grounds and the clubhouse on Ninth Line were developed. After his playing career Chris helped with coaching the juniors, winning the Ontario junior championship and being the only team to beat the London Welsh juniors on their Canadian tour. Many of his charges went on to play senior rugby for both club and province.
Chris received one of the inaugural Founder’s awards at the 50th anniversary celebrations last year recognizing his many contributions to the club.
When Chris retired from his “day” job, he and Joan moved back to Vancouver where their two children and families lived. Chris continued to lead an active life. Chris continued coaching rugby at the local high school, coaching both the senior girls and the junior boys teams. More recently Chris was an active organizer in the golf world with both the local seniors golfers and the Maple Leaf Junior Tour. On the morning of February 4th he did the Superman Zip Line, a one mile head first adventure!! Then he continued to celebrate his 75th Birthday at a local brewery, no surprise to his team mates! It is the perfect “Johnson” picture, full of the enjoyment of life!
There is a celebration of his life at Beach Grove Golf Club, Tsawwassen, BC on Sunday March 31st, 2019 between 1 and 3pm.
A second celebration of life will be held at the Crusaders on Sunday June 23rd, 2019 between 2 and 4pm when we will be joined by Joan and the family.
What it’s about:
- explore the game of rugby
- develop basic rugby skills (pass/catch and more)
- explore new activities including science, nature, art and group games/activities
- Open to U7 – U11 boys and girls
- Weekdays, 8:30am – 5pm at the Crusaders club/clubhouse????
- Taylor Black (Crusaders Senior Women, Queens University and Canada Senior Women)
- Taylour Hurd (Crusaders Senior Women, Brock University and Canada U20)
- Taylour and Taylor have both grown up through the minis and juniors programs at the club and gone on to represent Canada. Taylour Hurd is currently the U5 coach.
For more information or to register email: firstname.lastname@example.org